10 January 2011

Snow Day in Tennessee

It's Monday and I did not have to go to work...yay! I am sure you probably figured it out from the title of my post, but it was because over night we got about 8 inches of snow. I have lived here for 11 years now and this is the biggest snow i have ever seen since being in Tennessee. I moved here from Southern Indiana so I am used to the snow, but it is a whole new experience for my 2 1/2 year old son. We started out the day with a special breakfast of Marmalade French Toast. I first made the recipe on Christmas and we all really loved it, so when we heard that snow was coming we decided to make it again. We put all the ingredients together the night before and put it in the refrigerator to soak over night. This morning my wonderful husband got up, started the coffee, threw the french toast in the oven, and even made some turkey sausage to go along with it. It was so yummy! The picture I am going to post is actually from Christmas, but, it pretty much looked the same this morning. You can find the recipe here.


After breakfast I had resigned that I would not get out of my pajamas all day. That sounded great at first, but after about 5 episodes of the Fresh Beat Band, some Happy Feet, the unveiling of the new VW Pasat, and watching Extract with my husband while my son took a nap I was starting to feel a little stir crazy. My husband had to go to work and I was racking my brain to figure out something that Owen and I could do to pass the time. Eventually I decided on the most obvious...to get all bundled up and go out and play in the snow. My son loved it! As soon as we got out there I realized how much of a typical mom I was being when I asked him every 5 minutes if his hands were cold and did he want to go in. Of course he answered with a definitive "NO" every time. The snow was too powdery to build a snow man, but we had fun digging around in the snow with all of his beach toys....shovels, hoes, sifters, and buckets all work just as well with snow as they do with sand at the beach! 


At this point I was telling him it was time to go in and he was ignoring me


Great shot of how deep the snow was


Joni couldn't figure out what to do


Playing with the beach toys

I love the snow! I am hoping it sticks around awhile. Like I said, here in Southern Tennessee we do not get many big snows like this one, but this is already the second one of the winter. I hope it is not the last! 



1 comment:

  1. Amy,

    I am thrilled you found me again and DROP JAWED that " baby" is 2.5 years old.. I mean really??? could it have been that long ago.. feels like the blink of an eye! I hope you are well and happy.. xing my fingers my heart and kidney stones have been well so I have not had to come into the office but do miss getting to see you. I am opening up a sewing lounger and teaching studio.. we are going to be doing classes and just hanging.. hope maybe I will see you there some time soon! I will have more details on my blog as it all works it's self out. ohhh I am also on Facebook if you are there.

    Maddie

    ReplyDelete