03 February 2011

One of the best parts of my day is being able to sit down at the table after a hard day at work and enjoy a yummy meal with my family.  I work ten hour shifts at my job and I am very fortunate to have a wonderful husband who cooks dinner for me when his schedule allows. On the weekends, when we are both at home, we get to cook together. 

For about a year now we have been collecting new recipes to throw into our weekly dinner rotations. The greatest source that I have found for recipes is myrecipes.com. The myrecipe website is a collection of recipes from 5 different publications including Cooking Light, Health, Sunset, Southern Living, and Real Simple magazine. I especially like the Cooking Light recipes. My husband and I have found the recipes to be relatively easy to prepare and they have great flavor. While browsing the recipes I always make sure to look at the ratings and also the reviews of others who have tried the recipe. The reviews are extremely helpful! 

This past Sunday, after a particularly lousy grocery store trip, we decided to pop open a bottle of wine and attempt a new recipe I found earlier in the day. I was in a horrible mood, but I knew if I took a few deep breaths and focused on the cooking that in no time my husband and I would whipping up a tasty, healthy dinner. I definitely had my doubts about this recipe, but in the end it turned out great!

We made Maple-Mustard Pork Tenderloin With Caramelized Apples. It even sounds fancy! You can find the recipe here. The recipe calls for 2 (1/2 pound) pork tenderloins. Our grocery store does not sale pork tenderloin in that size so I had to by 2 (1.25 pound) pork tenderloins and we just used a whole 1 pound portion of the pork tenderloin. The recipe also says to cook the tenderloin on a broiler pan in the oven and of course I do not own a broiler pan, so we had to improvise. We ended up using a roasting pan. So, even with all the improvising we had to do on the recipe, the pork still turned out great! It was easy to throw together, but the maple apples that are served with the pork make it seem very elegant. This is both a recipe that can be used as a weeknight staple, or to make if you are having company over for dinner. 


We made long grain rice and green beans to go alongside the pork. My husband and I will definitely be keeping this recipe in our collection. I cannot wait to make this recipe for dinner guests!!! Bon appetit! 



No comments:

Post a Comment