10 March 2010

Food for Thought or a Thoughts on Food?

I have neglected to mention that I am a member of a book club. Reading, although it is sometimes hard for me to find the time, is a healthy habit that I enjoy. Being in a book club gives me the advantage of having a new book to read every month and also a night set apart to spend with great friends. Basically, every month one of us takes a turn at picking a book for the rest of the group to read. We have about a month to read the book and then we meet up again to eat, catch up, and discuss the chosen book. This month it was my turn to pick. I always get a little nervous about making a decision and this time I really went out on a limb. I picked a non fiction book and not only was it a non fiction book, but it is a book about how terrible our food has become over the years. I picked In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.  I was first intrigued by what this author had to say after watching a recent documentary called Food, INC. If you follow the link you will be able to watch the trailer and read more about the documentary. It is a must see! Michael Pollan, in his book, tells us to "Eat Food. Not too much. Mostly Plants." Sounds simple right? Well, that is what I am hoping to find out. I am going to try to blog along with my reading and hopefully be able to figure out if someone like me can really accomplish what the author of this book is asking us to do. I am going to be doing my research. His motto sounds great in theory, but can it be done? Only time will tell!

2 comments:

  1. I just got my book yesterday, and began reading it today! I am excited about it! Great pick, AMy. The Bell Skirts are going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo enjoying the book. I downloaded it to my Kindle, but I think this is one of those books I want to have in hard copy for reference, and to share with others.

    I know we're not supposed to talk about the book before we meet, but I dig this book. I want to start taking "baby steps" to a healthier diet. It is so hard change lifelong habits, but I am ready!

    ReplyDelete